Thursday, March 22, 2007

Listen - a word for our prayers

I held a small token in my hand. On it was the word LISTEN, and it struck me because we were listening to the story of Rev. Webster, who visited with us in our pre-meeting trip Tuesday, and we were listening to the story of the pieces of debris I found in areas devastated by Katrina, and we have been listening to the story of New Orleans, told in media and told in Common Ground Collective. But, it is easy to go to NOLA with presumption – even when I am thinking I am not being presumptuous, when I stop to evaluate, I find I am. Listening is the practice of being present without assuming. We feel we have to know the words to say to fix or heal or work miracles. Listening is watching the Holy Spirit in us, and the people, and place we are going to be working. I pray we listen as witnesses to the amazing power of the Holy Spirit in and around.

Listen.

No comments: